Before signing up

I don’t speak Japanese at all. Can I still go?

Of course! Your current knowledge of Japanese is not a problem, as long as you are motivated and ready to adapt.

In order to facilitate your arrival, we advise you to learn at least some daily expressions and hiragana/katakana.

Is there an age limit to go study in Japan?

If you are between 14 and 17 years old, we propose short stays, supervised, allowing you to have a first approach of Japan.

There is no maximum age to study in Japan.

Though if you are 30yo or older, the Japanese immigration office might look a little closer into your file: they might wonder what makes you come to Japan.

In this case, you will only have to explain in a short essay the reasons why you want to study Japanese in Japan. No worries though, it is very possible: we already had a student who was in his late 60’s!

Why should I use Nippon Study's services to enroll in a school?

Nippon Study offers to be at your side to specify, plan and prepare your visit to Japan.

Our advisors speak English and will answer your questions in a 24h notice.

Our services:

1. Présentation des études et de la vie au Japon

2. Guidance and advice on classes and schools (based on your goals, interests, budget, etc.)

3. Preparation of required documents

4. Translations (for example: you will be asked to write an essay on your motivations)

5. Constitution of the school's registration file

6. Preparation of your Skype interview for admission to the school (if necessary)

7. Preparation of the visa application file.

8. Tips for the interview with an immigration officer (if necessary)

9. Orientation and coaching: preparing your stay in Japan, what to expect when you arrive, the immigration procedure, the reception at the airport, your accommodation, your school (how to get there, how to prepare for school...).

10. Assistance: Once you arrive in Japan, we will always be there to help you if you need it.

Our assistance is completely free, as soon as you enroll in one of our affiliated schools. Whether you go directly through us or not, you'll pay the same tuition - everything is transparent.

If you apply directly to a school, the process can be more complicated and time consuming. Many schools do not offer online registration. You will have to contact them by email, in English. Sometimes you will have to contact the school by phone.

You risk having different interlocutors who do not know your file well, and who do not speak English.

Schools receive hundreds of requests each quarter. This can make it difficult to get quick answers to questions as schools are overwhelmed.

In particular, it is difficult to know exactly what documents are missing from one's file or to obtain detailed course information.

With Nippon Study, you only have to deal with one advisor who knows your file, your profile, your goals and your expectations perfectly.

Why do you help me for free?

Our services are free because we believe that applicants already have enough expenses (tuition, airfare, facilities...).

It is therefore the schools that pay us and allow us to continue to advise new candidates.

Whether you go through our services or not, the tuition will be the same. Everything is transparent, you can check it on the website of your school.

What are the admission requirements for a Japanese language school?

If your goal is to learn Japanese in order to become bilingual in Japan and you intend to return to your country, there are no special requirements for admission.

On the other hand, if you are aiming to continue with graduate studies in Japan, you will need a High School Diploma (A-level).

How much does it cost to learn Japanese in Japan?

Tuition fees vary from one school to another.

On average, you can expect about $500 per month of study, or $3,000 for 6 months and $6,000 for a year.

Please note that Nippon Study does not charge you any fees. Our services are completely free if you choose to study at one of our partner schools.

You pay the school directly, by bank transfer.

In general, schools refuse to spread out payments. Some schools make exceptions for our students. In this case, it will be possible to pay in two installments for a one-year program. Shorter programs must always be paid in one installment.

Student visa, Working-Holiday visa... Which visa should I apply for?

En fonction de votre nationalité, il se peut qu’aucun visa ne soit nécessaire pour un séjour de moins de 3 mois. Sont concernés :

Les pays de l’Union Européenne, l’Australie, l’Argentine, Les Bahamas, La Barbade, Brunei, le Canada, le Chili, le Costa Rica, la République Dominicaine, Le Salvador, le Guatemala, le Honduras, Hong Kong l’Islande, Israel, le Lesotho, le Liechtenstein, Macao, la Malaisie,L’Ile Maurice, le Mexique,Monaco, La Nouvelle Zélande, la Norvège,Saint-Marin, la Serbie,Singapour, la Corée du Sud,le Surinam, La Suisse, Taïwan, la Thaïlande, la Tunisie, la Turquie, les États-Unis, et l’Uruguay.

If you wish to stay 6 months or more, you will have to choose between the student visa or the working Holiday program.

Depending on your age and your goal, both have definite advantages. Don't hesitate to discuss it with us to make the right choice!

When do classes start?

In general, there are 4 sessions for programs of 3 months or more: in January, April, July and October.

But depending on the school, this can change. Some schools only have one or two 6-month or longer sessions per year, others only have one year session (in April) etc...

Schools are likely to change their rules and it is often complex (even for us!) so don't hesitate to contact us to find out more.

When should I send my application?

Applicants should select the school and program approximately 6 months before the start of classes if their stay requires a student visa.

With a Working Holiday Program, you can apply about 2 months before the start of the program. But in this case, you must make sure that the school is not full.

Registration deadlines for students requiring a student visa:

Registration Start of the courses
July ~ September January
August ~ November April
January ~ March July
February ~ May October
How to enroll?
  1. Contact us Tell us about your project and ask your questions
  2. Choose a school and a program
  3. Remplissez le calculateur de coût en ligne situé en bas de l’école désirée puis indiquez vos informations
  4. Send scans of the required documents by email (this may vary depending on your profile and type of visa. You may be asked for: a copy of your passport, a copy of your last diploma, bank statements, a diploma/certificate attesting your level in Japanese (optional), an essay on your motivations...).
  5. We examine your file, advise you and, if necessary, ask you to rectify or complete the documents.
  6. You send us the necessary originals (passport photos, forms to be signed ...).
  7. We check again that the file is complete and then submit it to the school (the file is also sent to the immigration office in the case of a student visa).

We will then keep you regularly informed of the status of your application.



When are the payments due?

For student visas:

Once your application is complete, you may have to pay the school an application/admission fee. This fee is usually around 200 dollars.

Once Japanese immigration has issued your Certificate of Eligibility (usually about 5 weeks before the start of the course), you will be asked to pay the tuition fee (or 50% if the school accepts payment in two installments).

For Working-Holiday Programs:

You can pay on the spot, before the beginning of the course.

How do I make payments?

Payments are made by bank transfer directly to the schools or on FlyWire.

Can I pay the application fee after I have been admitted?

It depends on the school. Some require students to pay the application fee before submitting the application to immigration (to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility needed for the student visa), without which your application would not be processed.

Are the application fees refundable? What about tuition fees?

If you cancel your visit, or if you do not obtain your student visa (which is very rare when you come from a Western country), the application fee paid to the school is not refunded.

However, if for some reason you cannot come and start your program, the tuition is refundable.

Can I pay my tuition in installments?

Some schools accept payment in 2 installments for a 1-year program - this must be specifically requested. Contact us to discuss your personal case.

For a 2-year program, payment is made in 2 installments.

What about you? What are you waiting for to become bilingual?

Discover our 27 Japanese language schools

Life in Japan

How do I find accommodation?

Host family, shared apartment, university residence, ... You will have the choice, depending on your criteria and your budget.

Some schools may be able to offer you housing. If this is not the case, we will be there to help you find housing.

Am I allowed to work on a student visa?

Yes, it is possible within the limit of 28 hours per week (40 hours in case of a working vacation program).

In fact, 75% of international students in Japan work part-time.

If you would like to work as soon as you arrive in Japan, please let us know. Depending on the area you choose, we can help you find a job.

What kind of schedule is there in Japanese schools in Japan?

A typical Japanese language program consists of 15 hours of classes per week, or 3 hours per day, in the morning or afternoon.

What is the budget for daily life in Japan?

Simulation of the budget of a student in Japan (may change depending on the region chosen).

Monthly Expenses:

Monthly rent : 40.000 Yens
Transport (Suica card for 1 month, 1 or 2 stations Yamanote line) : 3.880 Yens
Food 30 days x 1,000 yen = 30,000 yen
Other expenses (fournitures, parapharmacie, entretien …) : 10.000 Yens
Activities : 5 times/month x 2,500 yen = 12,500 yen
Health insurance: 2,000 Yen

Total monthly expenses : 98.380 yen

Monthly Income:

Salary (28 hours per week, 1,000 Yen per hour *): 28 hours x 4.25 weeks/month x 1,000 Yen = 119,000 Yen

How to open a bank account in Japan?

It is quite easy to open a bank account in Japan. You need to open one if you have a student visa or a Working Holiday visa (so usually for a stay of 6 months or more).

All you need is your residency card.

How to apply for Japanese health insurance?

It is mandatory to subscribe to the Japanese health insurance if you stay 6 months or more (student visa or Working Holiday).

Our team will help you in these steps.


After my Japanese language program

Will I be able to pursue higher education in Japan after my Japanese language program?

If you have at least a high school diploma (or 12 years of study) and a sufficient level of Japanese, it is possible. And your Japanese school will have prepared you for it.

In Japan, higher education courses are taught in Japanese. Therefore, you must have a level N1 or N2 in the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT).

If you have this level of Japanese, and if you have the required academic knowledge, you will be able to enter a university or a professional school quite easily.

Will I be able to look for a job in Japan after my Japanese language program?

If your visa has not expired, if everything is in order and if you have found a Japanese company willing to "sponsor" you (to do the paperwork for your visa), you can work in Japan.

But note that to obtain a work visa in Japan, you must have a higher education degree (from your country or elsewhere), or have specific experience.

A work visa will not be issued for unskilled work.

Contact us to present your personal case if you wish.

What level of Japanese is generally required by Japanese companies?

In general, Japanese companies are looking to hire foreigners with at least JLPT N2 level.

I got the JLPT N2 at the end of my program. Do you think I will be able to find a job in Japan?

Absolutely! Many Japanese companies are looking for foreigners who can speak Japanese.

With this level of Japanese, you will find work in Japan as long as you have a level of education higher than a high school's degree, or have significant experience in your professional field.

Depending on your background and skills, there may be many headhunters looking for you. And if you return to your country, you will also have many opportunities in companies that work with Japanese companies, or in branches of Japanese companies.


Contact us

Do you have any questions? A study or professional project in Japan? Our English-speaking team is at your disposal by phone, email or Skype.

Contact us

Do you have any questions? A study or professional project in Japan? Our English-speaking team is at your disposal by phone, email or Skype.


    Contact us

    Do you have any questions? A study or professional project in Japan? Our English-speaking team is at your disposal by phone, email or Skype.